Thursday, March 26, 2009

Laverdiere Dislocates Finger

Orono, ME- On Thursday afternoon around 4:30 p.m. disaster struck the Umaine Cheering squad when one of their most valued flyers dislocated her middle finger.

Lysa Laverdiere sprinted out of the multi-purpose room in the field house after injuring her finger during a routine stunt that went freakishly wrong.

“I was attempting a double down out of a heel stretch when my middle finger hit my back shoulder and I felt a rush of pain. I looked down to see my finger pointing in the wrong direction. I screamed and ran downstairs and got ice and the trainer violently pulled it back into place.”

Lysa returned back upstairs with a bag of ice and was asked by her coach to remain seated. When asked about her recovery she said, “I’m going to fight through the pain and be back on the mat in an hour.”

Lysa Laverdiere is a first year cheerleader at UMaine. She graduated in 2008 from Lewiston High School. Today, she dislocated the finger on the same hand that she broke in 2007 also doing a double down.


“Competing is my favorite part of cheering.” Lysa says, “I will not let my team down.”

No comments:

Post a Comment